Strawberries are delicious, tart fruits that are the first to ripen in spring. Did you know that these conical shaped beauties can do much more than satisfy your irresistible sweet tooth? They are super fruits, bursting with powerful anti-oxidants and loads of vitamin C that will provide your skin with nourishing nutrients for healthy happy skin. Research shows that people who eat foods rich in vitamin C have fewer wrinkles and age-related skin problems than those who don’t.
What Makes Them So Good for Skin?
- Rich source of vitamin C. Vitamin C is good for your skin as it fights of free radicals that steal oxygen from healthy cells and destroy collagen, encouraging pronounced lines to appear on the skin.
- Dietary fibre. Strawberries are an excellent source of dietary fibre which helps in eliminating harmful toxins in our bodies. Dietary fibre is also useful in regulating bowel movement, thereby preventing constipation, which is a known factor for acne and pimples. Fibre in strawberries can help you have regular toilet visits, which can keep your skin pimple-free!
- Folic acid. Folic acid aids in cell regeneration and the production of new cells in our bodies.
Top 5 Skin Benefits
- Anti-aging. Strawberries contain the anti-oxidant ellagic acid, which prevents collagen destruction—one of the major causes of wrinkle formation. Ellagic acid has a photoprotective effect that works against UV damage by stifling the production of MMP, which are enzymes that contribute in destruction of collagen. This prevents wrinkles from forming on the skin, thereby providing a healthy supple look to your face.
- Say goodbye to acne. Notorious acne caused by excess accumulation of sebum can be cleared off with the nutrients in this fruit. The acidic nature of strawberries enables it to remove excess oil in the skin.
- UV skin protection. The powerful anti-oxidant, ellagic acid is very useful as it protects the skin from harmful UV rays. A research conducted by researchers at a university in Korea discovered that mice that were exposed to UV rays after being given ellagic acid treatment showed reduced wrinkle formation as compared to mice that weren’t given the treatment before exposure.
- No more oily skin. Rich in vitamin C, these fruits can be used to make excellent face masks to fight oily skin, as well as nourish and revitalize your skin. Strawberries are acidic in nature and this is effective to remove the excess sebum on skin.
- Skin lightening. The juice is very efficient in lightening blemishes and acne scars. Strawberry juice contains skin lightening extracts as well as ellagic acid which reduces dark spots on skin. Simply apply the juice to the dark spots on your skin using a cotton ball and rinse thoroughly afterward.
Source: Nutrition and Skin: Lessons for Anti-Aging, Beauty and Healthy Skin, by Apostolos Pappas - 2011